2013-12-05 / Obituaries

Harold Eugene Simpson

March 6, 1943 - November 26, 2013

Harold Eugene Simpson, “SLEEPY” of Tanglewood, Texas, was born to William E. (Bill) and Ester Simpson March 6, 1943.

He married Ruby Lorena Newman in November 1961. From this union two children were born: Douglas Earl Simpson – February 22, 1962 and Sandra Lynn Simpson – October 9, 1963.

He later married Terry Kay Crippen in July 1984 and born to them was Carlene Nicole Simpson.

Sleepy was preceded in death by his ex-wife, Terry Simpson, his father, Bill Simpson, and his brother-in-law, Kenny Cook.

He leaves behind his mother, Ester Simpson; his ex-wife, Nena Simpson; his children, Doug Simpson and wife Robyn, Sandy Simpson and Carly Cook; stepson Trinity Wayne Baldridge; grandchildren, Heather Goolsby and husband Brandon, Amber Mosley and husband John, Samantha Ordones and husband Felix, Ashlena Hansen and husband Weston, Natalee David, Trisha Simpson, Coe Janner and Will Cook; great-grandchildren Trey Hruska, Kaden McColm, Mason Mosley, Devan Simpson, Nicho Ordones, Isabella Ordones and Mattie Mosley; brother, Roy Simpson and wife Diane; sister, Sue Cook, as well as several nieces, nephews and many other loving family members and friends.

Sleepy made his living working in the carbon plant at Alcoa, driving a truck for Skeet Quinney with S&S Trucking in Rockdale, and many years as an operator with Chicago Bridge and Iron, which required him to travel the great State of Texas and surrounding states. He also spent some time at Charlie’s Bar on the square in Lexington. When he was behind the bar, he was serious and took care of business, but when he sat AT the bar, he enjoyed a cold beverage or two, fellowship with friends, music, and an occasional game of pool.

Sleepy was not a fan of cold, rainy days. He would say if his feet were cold his whole body was cold. He enjoyed the festivities each year at the Lexington Homecoming, particularly the BBQ cook-off and being with family and friends, and, of course, the parade. Although he would complain about the mules, he always loved when they were harnessed and pulling the wagon. He cherished the time spent on family property, “the John Place,” where he and Roy tended cattle. Sleepy was specifically proud of the cabin where he stayed until he became ill, the tank, and his dog, Buddy.

In his younger days he had fun on trail rides and playdays. He spent time at the lake camping and waterskiing.

During Sleepy’s final days, he struggled as he fought the good fight; however, cancer steadily took a toll on his physical body. He was nothing less than his father’s son. Much like his dad, he was a warrior. He accepted his fate and was ready to go home. Sleepy made it clear he had spoken to our Lord and there was a place waiting for him in Heaven.

Services for Sleepy were held Saturday, November 30, 2013 in the Tanglewood Baptist Church in Tanglewood with Rev. David Atwood officiating.

Return to top

Digital Edition

2013-12-05 digital edition

Today's Special Links