Digital Edition

2013-06-20 digital edition

Special Sections

 


2013-06-20 / Front Page

Hot Weekend for Members of Area Fire Departments


A singlewide mobile home was completely destroyed in a fire last Saturday. PHOTO BY DONNIE MILBURN. A singlewide mobile home was completely destroyed in a fire last Saturday. PHOTO BY DONNIE MILBURN. It was a hot weekend for members of the Lexington and Blue Volunteer Fire Departments last Saturday and Sunday, and it wasn’t just because of the temperature outside.

On Saturday, at 8:50 a.m., LVFD was dispatched to a mobile home fire at 1101 Willow Creek Road near the Luminant Three Oaks Mine off FM 696 West. The Blue Volunteer Fire Department was also dispatched, along with the Lexington EMS.

When firefighters arrived at the singlewide mobile home owned by Ernest Perkins, they found it completely engulfed in flames. Fortunately, no one was living in the home at the time, as it was being renovated.

The unconfirmed cause of the fire was electrical. Lexington had seven firefighters and two trucks respond to the alarm, with one truck on standby at the station. Blue had six people at the scene. All firefighters remained at the location for about two hours.

Then, on Sunday, at about 2:50 p.m., the Lexington VFD was dispatched to a vehicle fire on FM 112, interrupting a nice Father’s Day experience for several people. LVFD firefighters Donnie Milburn, Michael Milburn, Tyler Meyer, Daniel Green, Chris Billings and Johnny Kubicek all responded to the alarm that sent them to a 2001 Dodge pickup owned by Tim Walch.

Walch said he was pulling his 5th wheel camper, headed into Lexington. “As soon as we got into the truck, I smelled something, and pulled over after driving only a mile or so. I didn’t see anything, so I got back in the truck and started driving again. As soon as we took off, the smell got stronger and smoke started coming into the cab. Everything went crazy at that time. The horn went off; the lights went on and off; my clutch and brakes quit working and we started to coast. When the smoke began to get thick, I put it in the ditch and told my two sons, who were with me, to get out and get away from the truck.”

“By now there were flames in the cab and the dash was melting. I grabbed the fire extinguisher that was in the camper and used that to try to stop the fire. Then I grabbed a jug of water we had with us, and threw that on it, trying to control it as much as possible while we waited for the fire trucks.”

“The cause appeared to be electrical, originating in the battery, or the fuse box or the ABS system,” said Walch.

Firefighters commended Walch for having a fire extinquisher on hand and said that having one in your vehicle would be a good practice for everyone.

Return to top

 













Today's Special Links