Digital Edition

2012-04-26 digital edition

Special Sections

 


2012-04-26 / Front Page

Two House Fires Fought

Two house fires occurred last week, one in Lexington and one in Tanglewood. The first occurred on Tuesday, April 17 shortly before 4 p.m. when the Lexington VFD was dispatched to 1107 N. Rockdale Street. Robert Mack,Allen Retzlaff and Michael Milburn with LVFD arrived within 5 minutes, but the fire was already out. Their investigation showed that the fire appeared to have started from an electric outlet above the bathtub. As the fire burned within the wall, it melted the pipes and the water from the pipes put out the fire. The home is owned by Wayne Walch and rented to Kevin Atkins.

Then, on Thursday, April 19, the Tanglewood and Lexington VFDs were dispatched to 1295 CR 416 at were dispatched to 1295 CR 416 at 8:15 p.m. after children smelled smoke upon their arrival home.

Tanglewood VFD Chief Guy Hall, Jr. said, “The fire happened in the back bedroom and appeared to have started by a cell phone charger on the mattress. The fire smothered itself out for lack of oxygen before we got there. Thank goodness, the door and the windows were shut.”

The damage was confined to the bedroom where one wall, the bed and the mattress were burned and had heavy smoke damage. There was medium smoke damage in the hallway and light damage in the kitchen. The residence is owned by Peggy Martin and rented by Debra Neal.

Return to top

 













Today's Special Links