2011-09-01 / Sports

Lexington Loses Opener 27-21 to Smithville

by Mike Organ

Injured Eagles Cash Flot (11), Logan Meuth (19) and Donnie Havard (9) lead the team on the field Friday night in Smithville. 
PHOTO BY MIKE ORGAN. Injured Eagles Cash Flot (11), Logan Meuth (19) and Donnie Havard (9) lead the team on the field Friday night in Smithville. PHOTO BY MIKE ORGAN. Lexington ran into a fired up bunch of Smithville Tigers Friday night. The Tigers beat the visiting Eagles 27-21 in an exciting game that wasn’t decided until Smithville recovered Lexington’s onside kickoff attempt with 42 seconds remaining.

Lexington won the coin flip and deferred until the second half. Smithville took the opening kick off and made a couple of good plays early. A 15-yard pass on first down got the Tigers into Lexington territory. Another first down moved the ball to the Lexington 37. The old Smithville came to the front on the next play. Jason Washington forced a fumble and recovered it for the Eagles stopping Smithville cold.

Lexington took over at its own 29-yard line. Lexington messed up its first play and Kogan Garrett was tackled hard for no gain. A reverse pass by Jason Washington fell incomplete on second down. On third down, Garrett dropped back and fired a perfect pass to a streaking Washington down the right sideline. Washington pulled in the pass at full stride and sped away from the Tiger defenders for a TD. Zach Lay kicked the PAT for a 7-0 Lexington lead.

Smithville answered with an eight-play 70-yard drive for a score. Smithville’s Gray Morris capped the drive with a seven-yard run to the Promised Land. The PAT kick tied the score at seven.

The teams traded possessions until 3:45 left in the first half. The Eagle defense had stopped the Tigers, forcing a punt. The Tiger punt was fumbled by the Eagle punt returner and Smithville recovered at the Lexington 25- yard line. Four plays later the Tigers completed a pass to the tight end for a 21- yard touchdown.

The PAT kick failed leaving Smithville ahead 13-7 with 1:54 left in the first half.

Lexington answered 38 seconds later. Eriq Mitchell completed three consecutive passes. The first pass went to Washington for fouryards and the second to Washington for 21 yards, getting Lexington on the move. The third pass went to Josh Murray for the final 42-yards to tie the game at 13. The snap of the PAT kick was low. Washington, the holder, picked up the ball and ran around the left side for a 15-13 Lexington halftime lead.

Smithville tried to answer but a completed pass was fumbled and recovered by Kevin Letbetter at the Lexington 48- yard line. Mitchell passed to A.J. Flot for a 13-yard gain. Two more passes were incomplete and a “Hail Mary” pass for Washington fell incomplete on the last play of the half.

Lexington took the second half kickoff and had a nice return to the 25-yard line. The Eagles got a first down on a typical Smithville personal foul penalty. A 47-yard punt by Zach Lay put the Tigers in business at their 33-yard line. The Tigers then mounted a 67- yard scoring drive that took 13 plays and 6:41 off the clock. DaAaron Jackson ran the final five-yards for the score. The PAT run was stopped short of the goal.

Lexington almost answered this score. Garrett hit Lay on an out route. Lay cut back inside and took off for the goal line. Zach zigged and zagged throwing the defenders off his trail until one Tiger snagged him at the Smithville three-yard line. Four tries from there netted the Eagles a minus one yard. Smithville was rejuvenated and fired up again.

Lexington’s defense held the Tigers to six- yards on three downs. A huge 42-yard punt by the Tigers backed the Eagles out the Tiger 48-yard line. Three Garrett passes and a speed reverse netted the Eagles four yards after a delay penalty. A Smithville punt put Lexington in business at their own five-yard line. Garrett passed to Washington for 14-yards and a first down. Garrett passed to Mitchell for three-yards on first down. On second down Garrett was sacked for an 11-yard loss. On third down Lexington fumbled and the Tigers recovered.

Smithville took three plays to score. The PAT run was also good on the second attempt after Lexington was offside on the first try. The Tigers led 27-15 with 1:52 left in the game.

Lexington had an answer in 42 seconds. Garrett passed to Murray for 12 with a 15-yard penalty added on, to Washington for eight, to Washington for 20 and then to Washington for 23, moving the ball to the Tiger two.

The 23-yard pass completion is one you would see on Sports Center. Washington laid out, with arms outstretched to haul in the pass just before going out of bounds. Garrett then ran the ball in from the two. The PAT kick was blocked leaving the score 27-21.

The Eagle onside kick attempt by Garrett was coved by the Tigers and the game was over.

Jason Washington had a great game receiving, catching eight passes for 156 yards. The Eagle passing game was very good with Garrett completing 11 of 17 for 232 yards and Mitchell completing 7 of 10 for 73 yards.

Defensively, Josh Murray was the leading tackler for Lexington with Oscar Saucedo and Jason Washington close behind in the number of tackles.

Return to top

Digital Edition

2011-09-01 digital edition

Today's Special Links