Lexington UMC to hold Service and Picnic at Early Chapel Cemetery
You are invited to join with the congregation and friends of Lexington United Methodist Church for a special service and picnic at the Early Chapel Cemetery on Sunday, April 10, 2011, at 11 a.m. The cemetery is located on the south side of FM 696, 3.2 miles east of the intersection with Highway 77 in Lexington. It was purchased by the Methodist Episcopal Church South in 1850 and was the site of the Early Chapel Church. The property was acquired by Lexington UMC when the two congregations merged in 1927. Buried there are San Jacinto heroes Captain James Shaw (founder of Lexington) and William Hawkins. The cemetery contains a special section for slaves and is a recorded Texas Historic Landmark. Yearly services and picnics at the site are a part of the church’s history. Attendees are encounaged to bring a lawn chair and a dish to share and are welcome to come as they can for all or part of the festivities. Any questions may be directed to Pastor Lance Richards at the church office at 773-2728.