2011-02-17 / Front Page

Local Man Electrocuted

On Sunday, February 13, 2011, the Lee County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 call concerning a possible electrocution

The call came in shortly before 9 p.m. Sunday night when the caller reported that his neighbor had climbed a utility pole and got electrocuted. He said the injured party, Manuel Martinez, was not breathing and had no pulse.

According to the Sheriff ’s Department, Deputies Allen and Liles responded to the call at 1032 PR 2332, behind the Giddings Golf Course. B & M Ambulance was called to the scene and performed CPR on Martinez, but was unable to revive him.

Justice of the Peace Troy Bise was called to the scene and declared Martinez, age 30, dead at the scene at 9 p.m. The body was transported by Phillips and Luckey to the Travis County Medical Examiner for an autopsy.

Their Sheriff’s Department investigation revealed that the power was out at the residence of Jose Hernandez and that Martinez was attempting to get the power back. Martinez was on a 30-foot fiberglass ladder and he reached out to grab the fuse barrel to put it back into place with his bare hands when he was electrocuted.

Manuel Martinez is survived by his wife, Myra.

Return to top

Digital Edition

2011-02-17 digital edition

Today's Special Links