Digital Edition

2011-01-27 digital edition

Special Sections

 


2011-01-27 / Front Page

Nine People Escape from House Fire


The home of Travis Evans located at 520 Dickson Street was a total loss last Sunday morning when a space heater caused the two-story structure to ignite. Fire fighters fought the blaze for more than eight hours before getting it completely under control. More pictures of the scene are found on page A6 of today’s paper. PHOTO BY KATIE HALL. The home of Travis Evans located at 520 Dickson Street was a total loss last Sunday morning when a space heater caused the two-story structure to ignite. Fire fighters fought the blaze for more than eight hours before getting it completely under control. More pictures of the scene are found on page A6 of today’s paper. PHOTO BY KATIE HALL. In the wee hours of Sunday morning, a two-story home located on Dickson Street in Lexington caught fire with nine people inside. Seven young girls having a sleep-over and two adults were in the house when the fire broke out and all managed to get out of the house safely.

The home is located at 520 Dickson Street in Old Town and is owned by Travis Evans.

Lexington Volunteer Fire Department received the call at 5:06 a.m. and were on the scene within five minutes. Nine members of the LVFD battled the house fire with all four fire trucks for more than eight hours.

It was determined by Lexington Fire Marshall Allen Retzlaff and Lexington Police Chief Randy Davenport that the fire was started by an electric space heater in the owner’s office, which was located downstairs in the front southwest corner of the house.

Assistant Fire Chief Michael Milburn said, “LVFD responded to a two-story structure fire at 5:06 a.m. Sunday morning January 23, 2011. We received the call at 5:06 a.m.; were in route at 5:09 a.m., and on scene at 5:11 a.m. Upon arrival we found a two-story structure built in the 1800’s fully engulfed in flames.”

“Lexington Police Department officers Fred Kelly and Kelvin Wharton informed us that everyone was out of the building and began helping us start operations.”

We responded with four fire trucks and nine members, including myself, Jarrett Ahrendt, Rodney Qualls, Johnny Kubicek, Don Milburn, Chris Billings, Jonathan Milburn, Daryl Shed, and Mickey Milburn.”

He continued, “Lexington EMS also responded with Joby Reynolds, Linda Patschke, and Guy Hall III.”

“After about five hours we got Brian Flowers, with the City of Lexington, to bring in a back hoe to break apart some of the back walls that still had fire in them. We finally left the scene at approximately 1:15 P.M.”

According to Milburn, they used approximately 40,000 gallons of water and 62 gallons of foam concentrate.

Milburn said, “This was a very difficult fire to extinguish due to the double wood wall construction, numerous remodels, and more than one layer of asphalt shingles on the roof.”

Return to top














Today's Special Links