From the Chef’s Corner Lemon-Coconut Cake
My mother-in-law “love” could make the most delicious lemon cake I’ve ever eaten. She loved making it during the holidays and served it with hot tea.
1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, separated
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 TBsp. baking powder
1 cup milk
2 tsp. Vanilla extract
Cream cheese frosting
1-2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
1. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
2. Combine flour and baking powder; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
3. Beat egg whites at high speed with electric mixer until stiff peaks form; fold one-third of egg whites into batter. Gently fold in remaining beaten egg whites just until blended. Spoon batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
4. Bake at 350F for 18-20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
5. Spread Lemon Filling between layers. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting on top and sides of cake. Sprinkle top and sides with coconut.
1 cup sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
1 cup boiling water
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
2 tsp. grated lemon rind
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 TBsp. butter
1. Combine sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan; whisking constantly, until sugar and cornstarch dissolve (about 2 minutes). Gradually whisk about one-fourth of hot sugar mixture into egg yolks; add to remaining hot sugar mixture in pan, whisking constantly. Whisk in lemon rind and juice.
2. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened (about 2- 3 minutes). Remove from heat. Whisk in butter; let cool completely, stirring occasionally.
Cream Cheese Frosting
½ cup butter (2 sticks) softened
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 (16 oz.) pkg. powdered sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
1. Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended; stir in vanilla.