2010-11-18 / Sports

Royal Drops Giddings

by Mike Organ

Giddings’ Jackie Wade is chased by Royal’s Brandon Williams after recovering Williams fumble. PHOTO BY MIKE ORGAN. Giddings’ Jackie Wade is chased by Royal’s Brandon Williams after recovering Williams fumble. PHOTO BY MIKE ORGAN. The Giddings Buffaloes dropped out to the 2010 playoff losing to the Brookshire Royal Falcons for the second time this football season. The first game Royal beat Giddings 34-31 and Friday they put an end to the Buffs’ season with a 20-13 win.

The game started off in Giddings’ favor. The Buffs won the coin toss and deferred to the second half. A short kick off to Royal put the Falcons in business at their own 36. The Buff defense forced a three and out with a 40-yard punt to follow. Giddings took over and marched down the field. The Buffs ran off 11 plays until the drive stalled out at the Royal 20-yard line. Michael Rangel toed a 37-yard field goal to put Giddings ahead 3-0.

Royal answered with a 14-play 59-yard drive that was culminated by superstar Brandon Williams’ one-yard plunge. The Buffs blocked the PAT kick and the score stood 6-3 Royal with 10:21 left in the half

Giddings mounted another time consuming drive. The drive stalled after nine plays and 41 yards. Royal struck quickly completing a 47-yard pass on first down because Giddings was stacking the defense at the line of scrimmage. On the second play, a hard Giddings hit on Williams popped the ball loose. Jackie Wade scooped iup the football, heading for the score. Williams got up off the ground and chased down Wade at the 22-yard line. Giddings ran three plays gaining a total of four yards. Rangel stepped up and toed a 35-yard field goal to tie the game with 4:50 left in the first half.

Royal again answered with a long 8-play, 64-yard drive. Pass completions of 16, 24, and 25 yards pushed the ball down the field along with 10-yards rushing by Williams. The final three yards were for the score. The Falcons were penalized 10-yards for holding on the drive. After the kick the score was 13-6 Royal when halftime came.

Giddings took the second half kick off. Deon Hickey returned the ball to the 34-yard line. The Royal defense held forcing a punt. Royal moved down the field but another tenacious hit by Giddings forced a fumble. Giddings could not move the ball consistently. After a short punt Royal struck quickly. Quarterback Tevin Long dropped back to pass, pulled the ball down, and scampered 27-yards around the right side for what proved to be the winning score.

Giddings took the ensuing kick off and marched down the field. Spencer Fitzhenry finished the drive with a 6-yard trip through the Royal defense. The play capped an eight-play drive that covered 63 yards. Rangel toed the PAT for the final score of 20-13 with 11:28 left in the game. The big play in the drive was a 28-yard twisting, stumbling run by Eric Rimes.

Giddings had one more opportunity but the Royal defense quashed the chance. Wade punted 33-yards down the field. The ball hit a Royal player and Jamil Jackson recovered for the Buffs at the Royal 38. Giddings could not get a first down and Royal ran out the final 5:30 of the game.

Return to top

Digital Edition

2010-11-18 digital edition

Today's Special Links