Knobbs Springs Celebrates 150 Years
Knobbs Springs Baptist Church was founded May 1, 1860. It was a typical rural church at the time. Along with the school, it was the center of community and social activity. It continued to grow until 1921 when it reached a membership of 121 with 90 of them resident members. In the 1930s, membership began to dwindle as people moved to the cities and surrounding towns to find work. The church continued to be a vital part of the community, as evidenced by the tearing down of the old church building and the erecting of a newer, smaller one in 1947.
By 1971 the congregation had dwindled to only seven resident members with an average attendance of four. Since the congregation was so small, Raymond Morrell, who was preaching for them, asked Olen Miles to come preach and talk to the members about disbanding the church. However, when he came, fifteen people attended the service. His reaction was, “Let’s not give up. Let’s have a revival!” They did and the church began to grow. They began to renovate the old church building, - painting, installing carpet and central heat and air conditioning.
In 1973 Brother Geary McManus came to be interim pastor for three months, but he was called as pastor and stayed through 33 exciting years. In 1976 the Texas Baptist Men Retirees and their wives came with their travel trailers and camped on the church grounds. Under the leadership of Brother Miles and with the help of the church members, members of the community and those from surrounding churches, they built a new church building with a sanctuary, five small classrooms. and indoor bathrooms. Indoor bathrooms may seem inconsequential, but they were a real blessing.
The Texas Baptist Men have gone on to build hundreds of churches throughout Texas and the nation, but Knobbs Springs was their first as an organized group. They came back twice more – in 1987 to build an education building with classrooms and a fellowship hall with kitchen facilities and in 1998 to build six new classrooms in a wing on the education building.
Geary McManus retired in 2006 after 33 years as the pastor. Mark McBride came in May 2008 to be the pastor. There are now have more than 200 resident members. The Lord has surely blessed.
We will celebrate Homecoming on Sunday, May 23. Services will begin at 10:30 a.m. to be followed by a covered dish luncheon at noon. You are invited to join us.