Digital Edition

2010-03-04 digital edition

Special Sections

 


2010-03-04 / Front Page

Update on Tucker Family Home Fire

Bill Tucker Bill Tucker Bill Tucker reported this week that the State Fire Marshal, who investigated the fire that destroyed their family home on Saturday, February 20, has completed his investigation. Fire Marshal Harry Bower’s report showed that the fire was caused by an electrical short in the air conditioning breaker box.

The Tucker family had been living near the double-wide trailer, which they had been renovating and intended to move into by the middle of March, when the fire broke out.

Tucker said, “We were sitting in the home we were living in while we finished with the last details of the trailer when my daughter looked out the window and saw fire. She turned to me and said, ‘It looks like our back yard is on fire. Why is that?’ I quickly jumped up and called 911.”

Tucker is a trained firefighter, who worked in that capacity for 23 years. He said his first reaction after calling 911 was to see what he could salvage from inside the home, but knew as soon as he got there that any such attempt would be too dangerous.

“The Lexington Volunteer Fire Department was very quick to respond and worked the fire into the wee hours of the morning, due to a second fire alarm sent out when the flames rekindled,” Tucker said.

“Thankfully, no one was in the house at the time. We lost a bedroom suite and some tools, but no one was hurt in the incident. We’ve had some misfortune in our lives, but we’ve been fortunate too. I count this experience among the fortunate; just a bump in the road of life,” Tucker concluded.

Return to top














Today's Special Links