First Hand Experience with Fire Safety
The Fire Safety House, a 41-foot mobile travel trailer that is a functional house, visited Lexington Elementary School last Thursday, October 8, 2009. Donald Boriak, an investigator for the State Fire Marshal's office and a member of the Fedor Volunteer Fire Department, was instrumental in bringing the Fire Safety House to Lexington. Lexington Fire Chief Donnie Milburn said it was the first time the trailer had been brought to Lexington in at least ten years.
Nearly 5,000 Americans die in house fires each year. Many of these fire victims are children. Children (and adults) often do not know how to react when fire breaks out in a home. These grim statistics show the need to increase our fire awareness. The Texas State Fire Marshal's Fire Safety House teaches children how to get out of a burning house safely.
Each year, approximately 25,000 Texas school-age children get the opportunity to enter the Fire Safety House and experience a home fire escape demonstration and receive invaluable fire prevention and safety information.
Students walked through the house's kitchen, living room, and bedroom, locating potential fire hazards. They also were able to practice simple methods of eliminating potentially dangerous situations. They touched and felt a "hot door" and located an emergency escape route. At the conclusion of the tour, the children exited via an escape ladder as the safety house filled with non-toxic theatre smoke. All of the activities were conducted under the supervision of local fire officials and school staff.
The Fire Safety House is a very effective tool for teaching children kitchen safety, exit drills and proper safety procedures in the event of a fire. The mobile Fire Safety House has traveled to schools throughout the state.
A Deputy State Fire Marshall operated the theatrical smoke machine and briefly spoke to the children about the trailer and fire safety. He also showed them a brief video on fire safety.