Three Lee County Families Descended from same Ancestor Recently Honored
Three different families that are descended from William Sterling Dowdy and Germania Hester Dowdy were honored recently in Austin by the Land Heritage Program. The original land was purchased by William Sterling Dowdy in 1908. This land has been owned and operated by Dowdy Family members for 100 plus-years.
Representing their families on the floor of the Texas House of Representatives, for the second year in a row, included William Charles Holcombe and Clara Grace King Holcombe Sherrill for Chicken Inn Division of Circle S Ranch; Andrew David Holcombe and Roderick Wayne Holcombe for Roderick W. Holcombe Ranch; and William Ernest Dowdy and William Sterling Dowdy for Dowdy 1st Pasture-Division of Dowdy Ranch.
In 2008, Clara Grace King Holcombe Sherrill and Roderick Wayne Holcombe were honored for owning and operating Pin Oak Division of Circle S Ranch. This ranch was purchased by Nicholas Hester in 1881 and remained as part of the L. Hester Estate from 1923-1991.
William Hester Dowdy (Bal) and Jean Ellen Hartfield Dowdy were also honored in 2008 for owning and operating Allen Creek Ranch for over 100 years. This land was purchased by Nicholas Hester in 1883 and remained as part of the L. Hester Estate from 1923-1991.
The Land Heritage Program is administered by the Texas Department of Agriculture.